Monday, February 22, 2010

'Korean Hot Spring' of Hulu Langat

This is a 'hot spot' for Koreans! For some unknown and strange reasons, almost like storylines of those 'weird' yet wonderful Korean horror films, the hot spring of Sungai Serai in Hulu Langat, Selangor seems to be a 'popular joint' for Koreans living in and around Kuala Lumpur. Indeed, when I first arrived at the site, there were only a few people enjoying the hot pool... and they were all Koreans! And when I was about to leave the place later in the evening, a group of 15 overtly excited teenagers arrived. Yes, they were all Koreans too! Hmmm... is there something about this 'hot spot' that they know and we (the locals) don't?


Sungai Serai Hot Spring of Hulu Langat is easy to locate. There are many routes out of Kuala Lumpur city that one can take in order to get to this place.

And the good thing is... it is only about 30 minutes drive from the heart of the city!

And the best thing is... it is FREE! Yup, no entrance fee whatsoever!

From the city centre, I followed the Ampang Road and went all the way to Ampang Point shopping complex. From here I drove ahead until I reached the traffic light in front of Taman Kosas (on the left). I drove pass the traffic light until I reached the next one. I turned right at this traffic light junction and went to Jalan Taman Putra. I then passed by Carrefour on my right. Drove straight ahead. Then another traffic light. Here I turned left to a road that would lead to Kajang (and along the way... to a place called 'Ampang Look Out Point').


While driving up the hill, I had the opportunity of enjoying the awesome view of KL city (see photo above). And soon enough I already found myself driving down on the other side of the hill. I then came upon a T-junction. I turned right. Drove pass the 'Jamek Masjid'(on the right). Then Petronas station on the left. Then another smaller masjid called 'Masjid Ehsan' (photo) on the right. Then...there it was! Right infront of this small masjid ... a signboard for 'Kolam Air Panas Sungai Serai'(Sungai Serai Hot Spring). I had finally arrived!


Sungai Serai Hot Spring in Hulu Langat is conveniently located right by the side of a busy main road. But thanks to the many trees planted in and around the site, bathers would somehow not get 'distracted' by sound and sight of the traffic. Indeed, I was quite surprise when I found out how 'serene' the site was despite its close proximity to the main road. I believe the bathers would enjoy a much greater experience when they visit the site at night. Less traffic and noise. The hot spring site is open daily until 10 pm.


Apart from the hot spring pool, the place also has a hot spring well. Located close to the pool, the well seemed to be a 'favorite' spot for the elderly visitors, especially the women. So, if one doesnt feel like 'dipping' his or herself in the pool, then one can still able to enjoy the hot spring by simply 'bathing' from this well. The well is also used to 'rinse' oneself after a 'dip' in the pool.

All in all, I would say that Sungai Serai Hot Spring is a nice, cosy 'alternative' outing site for dwellers of Kuala Lumpur city. It may be small in size and facilities provided are very basic indeed, but then again, I would not mind coming to this place again... and again... and again simply because it is so very convenient to go to. And I always like it hot! And...errr...yeah...I enjoy watching Korean movies:)

The 'Hot Seats' of Sungai Serai Hot Spring

Korean couple enjoying the Hot Spring Pool. The Hot Spring Well is on the right, under the tree.

The Hot Spring Well

2 comments:

Jom Pusing-Pusing said...

can we share your information n pic on our blog??...
we have to make final project about interesting attraction at hulu langat n we want to add the information on our blog...
hope you don't mind about it...
tq ^^

Anonymous said...

We went there over the weekend ... there is now a parking fee of RM 1 and they are also charging RM 1 per person to enter ... I was quite surprised on the close proximity to the main road .. thought we have to go further in to enjoy the hot spring .. there were quite a few families there already and strangely NO KOREANS ....

theRose